Header Ads

What Are The Odds You Are Here?

What are the odds of you existing today? When you think about it, a lot of tiny details from the past can have drastic consequences later on. My grandparents (on my mother's side) came from Belgium to escape the war, after losing virtually the entire town they lived in due to German bombing raids. They were nearly killed when a bomb landed near the church that they had taken refuge in during one of the raids, blowing the stained glass windows inwards and seriously injuring several people, including my great aunt. (She still had fragments of stained glass in her body for many years after the war.) The decision was made right then to get the hell out of there, and move to Canada where they didn't have to worry if each day was going to be their last. Eventually settling down in the prairies near Winnipeg Manitoba, they made a new life for themselves, and lived peacefully for many years until they passed away.

If it wasn't for the war, my grandparents never would have moved to Canada, my mother never would have met my father, and I wouldn't be here writing this today. If the bomb that injured my great aunt would have landed a few meters closer to the church, I wouldn't be here. If either of my parents would have decided not to go to the bar the night they met, I wouldn't be here. There are so many details that, if one small thing would have been any different it could have changed the outcome, and you wouldn't be here reading this today. If we could rewind time and do it all over again, the odds of everything working out exactly the same way is virtually impossible, yet here I am, and here you are reading this. It's amazing when you think about it.

So what are the odds of your existence? A million to one? A billion to one? It's virtually so small, that numbers don't seem to do it justice. When you think about it, you and your entire existence is truly a miracle in every way.


Powered by Blogger.