Header Ads

Do We Only Use 10% Of Our Brains?

Brain Fart?
Claim- Us humanoids only use 10% of our brains, unlocking but a small percentage of our grey organ's full potential. Some even think that if we could unlock the other 90% we may even unleash amazing abilities such as Extrasensory Perception, Telepathy, and more. Many are even willing to sell you the secrets to unlocking that hidden potential for a nominal fee.

Status- False. When you think about some of the people you encounter on a day to day basis, it sounds convincing to say that some people really do only use 10% of their brains. Sadly though, that's just not the case, and there is unfortunately no hope for them unlocking any more unused potential than they already have. When you flop down on the couch and zone out after a long day to rest, you may  be using less of your brain, but you still need all of it. Different sections serve different purposes, and over the course of a day we typically use 100% of our grey matter. Brain imaging technologies such as Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) and Positron Emission Tomography (PET) show that even when sleeping all parts of the brain show some activity, unless an area has been seriously damaged. For some context to how hard our brains work think of it this way- The average brain weighs only 3 pounds yet uses up to 20% of our body's energy, rapid firing millions of neurons 24/7 to control everything from our heartbeat to our self awareness. your brain does a lot, even if you don't.

The brain is a very complex organ and is not completely understood, but damaging even a small part of our brains can have catastrophic or even lethal consequences. Science is understanding more about it all the time, but it is still partially shrouded in mystery. As technology gets better, we have more tools available to use to find out what is going on in our heads that we never had before, and as a result we are learning many things that were beyond our capabilities only a few decades ago.

Brain Damage
10% Brain Myth
Theme images by enot-poloskun. Powered by Blogger.